This list was compiled from muster rolls and inspection returns, U.S. War Department.
- September 1808-June 1813 – Captain Eli B Clemson’s Company, First Infantry [evacuated due to the War of 1812].
- October 1815-October 1817 – Captain James Dorman’s Company “C” of the 18th Infantry.
- October 1817-October 1818 – Captain John O’Fallon’s company of the Regiment of Riflemen. [O’Fallon stayed at Fort Belle Fontaine (St. Louis) to recruit and Lieutenant James S. Gray was in actual command at Fort Osage].
- October 1818 – New detachment of riflemen at the fort.
- February 1819 – Second Lieutenant Loring Palmer relieved Lieutenant Gray who went to Fort Atkinson.
- April 1819 – Second Lieutenant Samuel Shannon took over command of the garrison which withdrew in late August 1819.
- March 1821 – A small force under the command of First Lieutenant William D. McCray, Sixth Infantry garrisoned the fort until September 1822.